eCommerce is a difficult market to be in. You are always up against the giants of Amazon, Walmart, and eBay, who have more money to spend on marketing than you do.
But that doesn't mean you should give up! There are ways that eCommerce brands can get ahead of the competition if they take some time to implement these 27 best practices from industry experts!
Marketing is a major part of eCommerce. The best marketers know that they need to focus on the customer, not just their online store.
This article will outline 27 practices guaranteed to work in 2021 to boost your sales through the roof!
What Is An eCommerce Marketing Strategy?
An eCommerce marketing strategy is a plan that focuses on the customer, not just the store.
The most important thing you can do when developing your marketing strategies is to remember that an eCommerce marketer's job is only partly about selling products.
Marketers' primary responsibility is providing their customers with what they want so that those customers will buy from them again and tell others!
It may seem like common sense, but it's easy for things like banners or videos to start competing with each other and distract visitors from this focus.
Sometimes it's better not to have too many of these marketing tools on a page and instead focus more on the customer.
Many of these tips come down to making sure your site or social media channels are free from clutter and focused on one key message per page.
23+4 Quick Profit-Driven eCommerce Marketing Practices
1. Make Valuable User Experience
Users will buy more when they can find what they want quickly and easily.
Some of the expert tips for the user experience of your eCommerce store:
- Offer various product types, but don't overwhelm them with more options than necessary on any given page.
- Avoid listings that require customers to scroll endlessly down the long page or click through many results before finding the right one.
- Please don't put too many links in your header (especially social media), so it's easier for visitors to focus on which link is the best choice at this time.
- Use the best images and videos to showcase your products.
- Make it easy for customers to contact you with their questions or comments by providing an email address at the bottom of every page, not just a chat box that's buried in one corner of the site.
- Don't put customers in a position where they have to log in before making their first purchase. It's counterproductive and makes them less likely to return for future purchases.
- Give your visitors an incentive to sign up for your email list by offering exclusive deals or giveaways that are only available through the newsletter, not just on social media posts. This will help you build a loyal fanbase with higher lifetime value who's more apt to buy from you again.
Doing these things can make it easier for potential customers--and existing ones!--to find what they want quickly and easily without feeling overwhelmed.
Keep In Mind -
When people shop online, one thing is certain: They're looking for convenience
2. Implement Google Shopping Ads
One of the best ways to grow your eCommerce business is by implementing Google Shopping ads.
These are like traditional text-based search engine ads--except that they're designed with a new "shopping" format so that you can advertise on both desktop and mobile devices.
Google Shopping Ads will appear at the top of product categories in Google's search results pages for relevant queries and next to related products around the web on sites such as YouTube or Instagram.
Google Shopping Ads can include up to four images, a product description, and a price. Ads are also optimized for mobile devices, so they're easier than ever for customers on their smartphones or tablets to find the products that inspire them most.
This is an excellent strategy if you sell physical goods--in fact, it's not limited only to stores with eCommerce websites; any company selling physical items online may be eligible.
Eventually, Google Shopping Ads will help you get your brand in front of potential buyers who might otherwise never have found your site through Google Search alone.
Tips for Google Shopping Ads:
3. Search Engine Optimization
SEO is what most marketers would say is the best way to get your products in front of potential buyers.
Why SEO Is Beneficial in eCommerce Marketing
- The SEO strategy that's right for you will depend on whether or not you have an eCommerce platform like Shopify, how much money and time you're willing to invest into it (not all strategies require a lot of investment), and which channels are essential to your business.
- By ensuring that your site is well optimized for search engines and social media, you'll also position yourself to take advantage of new opportunities like voice assistants as they become more integrated into people's lives.
- An optimized site ensures that search engines can find your products by using keywords in titles and descriptions, which leads to increased organic traffic from Google searches—and more sales!
4. Optimize for Voice Search
Doing your best to optimize for voice search is important if you want people to find your products using their voice rather than typing.
So, What Should Business Owners Do?
- First of all, make sure that the keywords in titles and descriptions are relevant to both types of searches (voice or text).
- And secondly, focus on using short phrases as opposed to long sentences. These two simple changes will ensure that the content's readability doesn't impact a switch from written words to spoken ones.
- Finally, have an updated sitemap with up-to-date content so that Google can easily crawl through your site and index it properly!
This step may take some time, but it'll be worth it in the end.
5. Start Social Media Marketing
Marketers should take advantage of the popularity of social media platforms by utilizing them for their e-commerce brands. It will help to increase engagement and purchase opportunities.
The following are some of the best eCommerce marketing practices with SMM for online businesses in 2021.
- Be present on as many channels and platforms as possible to reach a greater audience. This includes YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Linked In, Pinterest, Twitter, etc. Show that you care by responding quickly to customer inquiries and feedback via these platforms too!
- Use visual content; yes, it's been proven repeatedly that visuals work better than text or words alone when communicating with consumers. It will also help increase your brand trust factor among customers who view them online. Make sure to have high-quality images at all times so people can see what they're buying instead of just listing out features first (remember: digital is different!).
- Create a personable image for your company. Don't be afraid to show the human side of your brand through creative content, marketing, and communications. As a marketer, it's essential to show your personality and be honest with customers, so they feel like you're just one of them.
6. Email Marketing
Use email to send new content - to subscribers.
Make sure you're not spamming them with emails or sending irrelevant messages that will irritate your customers and end up getting sent straight into the trash folder.
Email Marketing Tips for eCommerce Store
- Create a personalized shopping experience for all of your customers, no matter what device they are on. This can be done through personalization, customer service, etc.
- Do some A/B testing to get more conversions from visitors who come to your site via social media channels like Facebook ads and Instagram posts by adjusting wording, images used, colors displayed (images vs. text), pricing...etc. What works best for one audience may not work well for another, so don't assume it's going to be the same thing across the board.
- Offer easy-to-understand and straightforward product descriptions that include key benefits, detailed specifications, a list of features, and measurements/sizing information.
- Add social media facets to the customer experience by incorporating Facebook Messenger chatbots or Instagram's live videos to help customers make purchasing decisions and provide additional assistance via their favorite platforms.
- Keep your product descriptions short and sweet. This will make it easier for customers to browse through them while also improving the likelihood of conversion rates due to their ability to find what they are looking for on your site quickly.
- Offer subscriptions that can be set up in advance, like a monthly or weekly option, so shoppers have everything planned out beforehand, which is more likely to result in increased revenue than if they had just made impulse purchases at checkout time.
7. Use Facebook & Instagram Ads
Facebook has been making rapid changes to its algorithm for the past two years, but it's still one of the best places to advertise.
However, Instagram Ads are a great way to reach customers who may not be on Facebook. As people become more and more reliant on social media channels such as Twitter or Snapchat, these platforms can also prove beneficial when advertising eCommerce brands.
Tips for Using Facebook Ads:
- Use Facebook's Ads Manager to create, publish and manage all of your ads.
- Choose the best frequency for each ad campaign by experiment with various settings such as Day Parting (Monday - Sunday) or a customer's age group.
- Monitor how expensive it is per click now to decide what kind of budget range will work best to be successful on this platform.
- Keep geographical targeting options open because people from different countries search for products using their local language terms.
If someone is looking for a "Barcelona travel guide," they might not realize that "Barcelone" means the same thing in English, so make sure your geo-targeting includes both Spanish and English-speaking countries.
- Create a custom audience targeting if you want to show your ads only to people on mobile devices who are at least 18 years old and live in the United States
For example -
This is important because there might be some restrictions that Facebook has with what kind of information they can provide when it comes to geolocation. This would give them more accurate data like age group or location for better ad performance.
8. Build a Blog for Your Online Store
Make a new section as a blog in your eCommerce store can add value to your business and increase your revenue. If you don't have a blog yet, start blogging today.
Benefits of Having a Blog for Your eCommerce Store in 2021
- Writing blog posts is one of the best ways to generate new traffic and increase conversions.
- A well-written post with an enticing headline gains more attention than any other type of marketing strategy on social media, resulting in increased sales and revenue.
- Marketers who have started blogging can grow their online following through SEO optimization, email newsletters, or guest posts, which will provide them with exposure while also boosting awareness about your brand as a whole.
- Once you're ready to start writing content consider these tips:
- Find out what's happening in your niche, like trending topics, so it becomes easier for you to create content around specific subjects; this will make your blog more engaging.
- Keep it relevant and on-topic with your brand's goals to generate a higher return for your business; this will increase the number of people interested in what you're writing about.
- Write content regularly and create an editorial calendar to keep track of when new posts go live, making sure they align with trending topics or holidays.
- Write in a voice that people can relate to and remember; use your personality and show some emotion when writing.
- Include bullet points, charts, or infographics for reader's convenience, so they don't have to scroll through an entire article; just find the information they are looking for.
9. Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is a powerful way to gain access to new audiences and customers. It is a strategy that has proven to be one of the most effective ways for brands and companies to advertise their products.
This type of advertising relies on people with substantial social media followings, such as celebrities or famous bloggers, who might mention your brand in posts they publish online.
Tips for Influencer Marketing
- In addition to influencers' follower counts, marketers also need to consider an influencer's relevance score when considering working together; this number represents how well someone targets an audience similar to yours based on things like age range and interests.
- Leverage these relationships by giving influencers access early to test out new features before making them public knowledge (and have time to promote). Doing this will help you build trust with and loyalty from these influencers.
- You should also be aware of the current state of your product and have a strategy in place to address common problems that might arise, such as missing pieces or broken items.
How to find influencers?
It can be challenging for eCommerce brands with small budgets to find influencers, but many free tools make it easier, like Social Blade. This tool provides information about popular social media profiles, including their number of followers, the total posts they've made on all platforms in the past 30 days, how often those posts get likes or shares, average engagement rates, and more.
You can also narrow down your search by category, such as fashion bloggers, to know exactly who will work best for your business needs.
10. Google AdWords
Google AdWords is one of the best advertising platforms for eCommerce. It's a paid search, which means ads will show up for people who are actively searching Google.
You can put your products in front of potential customers and get them to click-through without even knowing it!
Once they've clicked on your ad, you'll have the chance to interact with them by providing more information about what they're looking at or tempting them further with an offer code if someone is looking at a high-ticket item.
Google Adwords Tips for eCommerce Marketing
- Use the right keywords in your ads so that they see your ad and click it to visit your website when someone searches for them.
- Create a landing page designed explicitly around each keyword you are advertising with. When someone clicks on an advertisement, they will be directed to the specific product or campaign they were looking for.
- Make sure your ads have strong CTAs (Call To Action) because this is what prompts people to take action. Include offers such as discounts & free shipping to build trust by showing customers how much money they can save from their purchase.
- Test out different images of products and use those which get higher click-through rates.
Retargeting is a great way to improve your eCommerce store's conversion rate.
This strategy involves targeting people who have visited or browsed your website but never purchased anything. Retargeting ads will show up on websites and apps that they visit after leaving your site.
11. Promoted Pinterest's Pin PPC
Promoted Pins are a Pinterest ad product that is similar to Facebook ads.
It allows you to promote your products, blog posts, or other content on people's Timelines and Home feeds to deepen engagement and drive sales in addition to any leads collected from form submissions from clicks.
When it comes to promoting pins for merch, there can be two different options depending on what type of account you have.
- If you're an individual seller, we recommend using promoted pins because they will allow you access to all available placements. If you don't want all the available placements but would like only specific mobile devices or desktop users, use Promoted Pins Publisher.
- Suppose you're using the Promoted Pin publisher. In that case, it will be imperative to choose your placements wisely because this placement strategy is best for those who only want to promote their pins in certain areas, such as mobile or desktop users. You'll need a good idea of where your customers are on Pinterest so that you can optimize your campaigns and make sure they're getting seen by the right people!
12. Improve Your eCommerce Site Speed
Speed is a fundamental factor for rankings in Google. This has been a topic of discussion for years now, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Google is using its site speed ranking factor as a way to weed out low-quality content sites that have only one goal- generating revenue with little concern about the user experience or relevance to the searcher's intent.
Google uses this metric to eliminate irrelevant web pages
Tips to Improve Site Speed:
You can do several things to improve page load speeds.
- These include reducing image sizes, compressing images, and eliminating plugins like a flash player from your website. It's also essential you optimize the code on all hosting platforms such as WordPress because having too much code will significantly impact how quickly your website loads.
- Keep your site fast by using caching plugins and having a backup server to handle traffic spikes.
- Implement responsive web design, which will improve the experience on mobile devices
- Use Google PageSpeed Insight to identify any issues with your site.
13. Make Video Content
You may want to make lots of relevant videos or even live streaming video content optimized for viewing on mobile devices.
This strategy could be effective because it encourages consumers who have been considering purchasing to complete the transaction.
Tips for Video Content
- Create videos that are about your products or services, how they work, and why people should buy them
- Include information in the video as needed for clarification of any details like pricing or availability
- Allow viewers to purchase items instantly by linking to your eCommerce site
- Encourage reviews and feedback from customers through videos, which will help you build a positive reputation as an expert in your field
- Ensure that all video content pertains directly or indirectly to what people are searching for on YouTube.
- Promote your videos on social media platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn. You can share them in a "Story" or as an advertisement to grow brand awareness
- Utilize the YouTube live streaming app to increase customer engagement, which will help you build trust with potential customers who are watching closely for what they want before making a purchase decision
- Create video ads that show up automatically when people search certain keywords related to your business using Google Adwords; this is because it gives users more information about products they may be interested in, propelling them closer to conversion than just plain text might do alone.
14. Create a Shoppable Instagram
A shoppable Instagram post is a picture or video that links directly to your product page on an eCommerce site. This allows for a seamless browsing experience, and it also provides the ability for shoppers to purchase items right away without having to leave Instagram.
15. Create Pinterest Boards
Pinterest boards are another way you can generate more traffic from social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. Create different boards with specific interests in mind (e.g., "men's fashion") so that when people share them, they only have one board instead of sharing many pictures all at once.
16. Offer Gift Guides
Create year-round gift guides for your best customers. Free or discounted items can be offered to guide recipients if they purchase a certain amount of products from the store!
Offer Gift Guides free or discounted items to encourage more purchases.
When you create an annual strategy, it ensures that every step is aligned with other marketingstrategiesefforts and helps mold them into one cohesive campaign.
My Favorite Tip -
Use Cross Promotions To Get More Expensive Items For Less" This means incentivizing shoppers by offering discounts on higher-end merchandise when someone buys something else at full price. A recent study found such promotions increased revenue by 30%.
This tip incorporates cross-promotion techniques which are a great way to get more expensive items for less.
Include a Gift Guide on the Home Page, and Blog Offer free or discounted items to encourage more purchases.
17. Recommend Products Based on Abandoned Cart Items
Every time a customer abandons their cart, you have the opportunity to make up for it by showing them products they may be interested in. This is what we call an abandoned cart recovery email.
You can also use personalized product recommendations so that customers are shown items relevant to their interests rather than having random suggestions pop up on your website.
This tip includes turning one-time purchases into subscriptions, allowing businesses to continually sell their goods while generating repeat business through new clients.
It's important because recurring revenues allow companies to grow faster over time without relying solely on external sources of capital.
18. Combine FOMO With Free Shipping
When people are shopping for anything, they often want to know if there is free shipping.
The best way retailers can encourage more sales and traffic is by offering a discount on the product itself in conjunction with free shipping. Free Shipping Day has become increasingly popular because it's an easy hook to provide consumers with a sense of urgency while also giving them something precious to incentivize their purchases.
With FREE SHIPPING, offer FOMO sale events to drive more traffic and increase conversions.
Extra Tips to Enhance Revenue of Your eCommerce Store
- Combine discounts with enhanced incentives like offers of additional value addons, exclusive deals, and access codes, etc., so customers perceive serious savings.
- Create limited-time promotions such as "Sale ends tonight at midnight!" This strategy will require a lot of coordination among all internal team members and marketing and customer service.
- Offer free shipping for everyone, not just to those who spend over $200. It may require additional costs that can be offset with other strategies, such as discounting the product itself.
- Test different offers on how many items customers need to buy to get free shipping (like buying two or four separate items)
- eCommerce marketing agencies should also focus on creating an excellent consumer experience by implementing these practices:
- Deliver products quickly, so shoppers don't have time to think twice about their purchase decision
- Provide easy returns policies and messaging, so consumers know they are happy shopping at your store
19. Send Personalized Emails
One of the best ways to get people back on a website is by sending them personalized emails. This process will start with an email marketing list you've already created in your existing online store but then make it more personal and meaningful for each customer.
To take this one step further, marketers should include multiple links within their messages that link to different product pages or promotions so customers can find something they may like even if they don't know what's available from your site yet.
This strategy can be beneficial when targeting new customers who haven't made any purchases before.
For example -
You could send out an introductory email with a coupon code and several other offers that would all act as.
This is a great way to make customers feel appreciated and respected.
You can also customize the 'from' line of your emails with their first name or some other identifier, which will help them identify you as the sender more quickly.
Only send an email when necessary – Emails are not always welcome for everyone! Overzealous marketers don't realize that they might be sending too many messages, causing customers to start unsubscribing from your list because it's just too much noise in their inboxes. Send an eCommerce marketing message only if there is something essential or new happening that warrants attention on your part.
20. Include Customer Reviews on Product Pages
Reviews are a great way to show customers that you care about their opinion. Positive reviews will encourage others to buy, while negative ones can help avoid costly mistakes.
Reviewing your products and services on social media sites like Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest is also an effective strategy for building customer trust as many consumers now rely heavily on other people's opinions before making purchases.
Make it easy for shoppers to share - Too often, eCommerce stores make it difficult for patrons to share with their friends by not including sharing buttons in the shopping cart page and/or checkout process. Customers will be more likely to purchase if they know they'll get credit when someone else buys from them due to their shared recommendation.
21. Issue Coupons
Giving people a reason to come back to your store is an integral part of eCommerce marketing. Coupons are one such opportunity for you as the seller, and if used correctly, they can be effective in driving traffic.
22. Guest Post
Guest posting is a way to get your company's name in front of new prospects. It can lead to increased traffic and more sales if you can secure a high-quality post on an industry blog, or it might just be something fun for you if you have the time (and connections) to do a write-up for a more personal blog.
23. Ask for Referrals at the Appropriate Time
eCommerce businesses should ask for referrals at the right time.
For example -
When someone receives a product and is happy with it or has just had a fantastic customer service experience.
- This strategy can help boost sales because customers are more likely to prefer products that they have used themselves.
- Customers also feel like their opinion matters if you've asked them for feedback in the past.
- It's important to note that this strategy doesn't work well without another effective marketing tactic such as discounts, free shipping offers, etc.)
- Charge a fair price for your products. Consumers are likely to pay more for something if it's worth the money.
- Offer free giveaways occasionally.
The High-Tech eCommerce Marketing Approaches
24. Develop an App With Push Notifications
App developers are constantly looking for ways to innovate and develop new technologies, especially with the rise of mobile devices.
An app developed in-house could offer customers a variety of features unavailable through other marketing channels, such as push notifications that will deliver messages straight to their phones.
This would be an excellent way for eCommerce companies to connect directly with potential buyers at any time without spending money on advertisements or promotions.
25. Interactive Product Visualization - Create a Virtual Showroom
Product visualization is one way to engage customers in-store.
A well-designed eCommerce website will allow customers to virtually "try on" clothes and window shop for furniture without leaving their homes or offices.
This can be done by providing 360-degree views of products and the ability to zoom into specific details such as fabric composition, stitching, and embellishments.
Important Considerations for Product Visualization
- When designing an online shopping experience with product visualization, one important consideration is creating realistic color representations that are true to life.
- An interactive environment could also include augmented reality (AR) features where shoppers can get accurate measurements of how something would look if they ordered it while still seeing what else might go best with the item they've selected.
- Another consideration for product visualization is mapping the size of products to how they would look on a person's body, rather than just displaying them in their original dimensions.
- Lastly, an online shopping experience needs to have clear and detailed explanations about what each item entails and its specific benefits without being too wordy or complicated. Some brands include small tutorials that show shoppers how easy it is to use certain features such as tie-back closures or zip openings.
26. Artificial Intelligence
An excellent way to ensure that the customer experience is as seamless and enjoyable as possible, brands should consider investing in artificial intelligence.
AI can be used to help craft personalized product recommendations for shoppers with particular interests or purchase histories.
It can also make it easier for customers to find what they want by using facial recognition technology on their smartphones.
Chatbots are the perfect way to supercharge customer engagement because they provide a direct line of communication with consumers. This makes it easier for customers to reach out and ask questions, making every interaction personal and memorable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the types of eCommerce marketing?
There are four main methods of eCommerce marketing - PPC, SEO, SMM, and affiliate marketing.
- PPC is an abbreviation for 'pay-per-click, ' which refers to using a search engine to promote your product easily.
- SEO stands for 'search engine optimization which mainly includes keyword research and copywriting.
- SMM is an abbreviation for 'social media marketing and includes sites like Facebook, where you can target specific groups within accessible networks.
- Lastly, affiliates marketing provide customer referrals that increase new customers from warranty-type sales or commission payments in return for a percentage of the sale price on occasion (depending on the company).
With all that being said, it isn't too difficult to see how all of these four main methods could be better used in the new e-Commerce environment.
What are the 3 types of eCommerce?
- B2B (business to business) or formally, wholesale--is a supply chain in which the goods are exchanged between branch offices, subsidiaries, trading companies, or other organizations.
- B2C (business to consumer) is a supply chain in which products are sold to consumers through retail channels.
- C2C (consumer to consumer) is a peer-to-peer network of non-profit or for-profit businesses that connects consumers interested in exchanging goods with each other without involving traditional retail channels such as department stores and supermarkets.
How do I get into eCommerce?
There are a lot of steps involved depending on your industry. But, to start, you'll need to gather buyer demand by collecting information from surveys and other data techniques.
The next step is to establish seller demand by working with multiple sellers and fulfillment providers to create inventory sourcing agreements or streamline existing ones.
If you aren't a part of this world yet, we recommend getting started with a few tips:
Determine who the ideal customer is - Buyers or sellers. Research what they want, what their concerns are about being in the industry, and how they go about merchandising?
Gather as much information as possible - For example, certain areas of eCommerce may have more demographic nuances than others so
Is it worth getting into eCommerce?
Yes, it's worth the time.
Establishing a website that is driving inconsistent traffic requires an investment of both time and money.
However, it should pay off in the long term as this is where future growth will come from.
Developing a customer base for your product or service now means securing revenue streams for years to come.
Plus, it gives you more opportunities to receive feedback on your products which may inevitably lead to better overall quality being manufactured because consumers' voice can't be ignored in the internet era (it seems like each day there is news about how social media evidence has been instrumental in helping convict criminals).
The internet has been democratizing many aspects of commerce, including making business challenges transparent and accessible.
What is the best marketing for eCommerce?
E-commerce marketing is usually done by improving customer experience using advertising, SEO, and social media.
The goal of eCommerce marketers is to get a customer to click on a banner advertisement, read an article or review on their site (which will reroute them back), or sign up for newsletters.
It's also important that the company take advantage of the various forums where customers can have feedback about products in researching purchases like Facebook Reviews.
eCommerce is a rapidly growing industry with new technologies and trends emerging all the time.
If you're looking to succeed in this competitive space, your marketing strategy must stay on top of these changes.
For example, many people ask about how to target customers who speak different languages or use different currencies.
We can help - our team has been helping eCommerce businesses grow successfully for years! Click here to learn more about our eCommerce Hyper-Growth Strategy!